Tuesday

Bullying---why do people want to hush the stories of those who went through it?

There is something on my mind today that REALLY bugs me.  I have a friend who wants to write a story about her experience of being bullied, but her family and others are saying things to discourage her.  Why on earth is it that people are so quick to sweep these things under the rug and pretend they don't exist??  Why is it that kids and even adults are basically told to suck it up....its over--move on?

People who bully NEED to be called out. Its not about stepping on toes, its about what's not acceptable in our society.  I don't care who you are....if you treat me wrong, you WILL be called out. I won't bully you myself when I do call you out on it...but I respect myself enough NOT to sweep it under the rug.  On top of it...maybe if those who are bullies are embarrassed enough by being labeled as one--they'll stop!

I did call someone out on his behavior towards me when I was a kid. He was relentless. For years. And I finally had had enough.  He was in class with me one day, and just would not leave me alone.

 I turned around, and looked him in the eyes....and said "Richard--that's not nice. And I don't like it. Why are you acting this way toward me? I don't deserve to be treated this way by you...or by anyone else. And if you don't stop....I will report it to the school officials."  I turned back around....and continued with my day. From that day on, he was actually friendly. We weren't 'friends', but he respected me....BECAUSE I stood up for myself with strength. And when I did this, I did it loud enough that those around us that were egging him on, could hear it.

Bullies are actually extremely insecure people inside. And they're not used to being called out in a matter of fact manor. I did this without anger, without tears....even though I was completely fed up. I just calmly basically put him in his place. And that's what needs to happen.

Its time for people to stop accepting this kind of behavior from others. End of story. The minute we stop sweeping it under the rug and put the spotlight on these things....the less intense they will become. NO one likes living in a fishbowl, unless they have gills and fins.

I have one more word to go with this post.....and that is "TAWANDA!"  If you've seen Fried Green Tomatoes, you know why!

Blessed be!

No comments:

Post a Comment